These are sermons that I preached during the evening service at Trinity Baptist Church in New Haven, CT.
- Our problem with God and His solution - 1 John 1:5-2:2, Transcript or Audio file - Who is God? Why is that a problem for us? What is His solution to our problem?
- Assurance before God - 1 John 3:19-24 - How can we have assurance before God? What is the source of our assurance?
- Lost and Found - Luke 15, Transcript or Audio file - A sermon on Jesus' parable of the Prodigal Son. What does it meanto be lost? What does it mean to be found? Note: this sermon owes much (if not all!) of its structure and content to Tim Keller, whose exposition of this parable is treated in the short but excellent work The Prodigal God, which I highly recommend.
- Just, Unjust, and Justified - Luke 18:9-14 - The parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector. How can a man be accepted by God?
- God's Sovereign Salvation - Exodus 4:18-6:1 - Moses' initial encounter with Pharaoh and the odd "bridegroom of blood" incident in Ex. 4:24-26. Does God have a purpose for suffering?
- Joy, Religion, and the Gospel - Philippians 3:1-9, Transcript or Audio file - What is the difference between religion and Christianity? Why does religion make us miserable? What is the alternative?
- Science and the Christian worldview - Psalm 19 Audio file - What is the purpose of science in the Christian worldview? Is science compatible with Christianity? Is there scientific evidence that God exists?
If anyone has questions about these sermons or about Christianity in general, feel free to e-mail me at neil -AT- shenvi.org I will do my best to answer them.